10 December, 2007

The best version of Linux.

As far as I can tell the best version of Linux to use is Ubuntu 7.10. Most hardware appears to work, except for a few wireless NIC's and a few printers. A few things do not run on Linux, but most things do. There is also most likely some sort of Linux equivalent anyway, so you should have few problems. You have OpenOffice instead of Microsoft Office, Totem-xine instead of Windows Media Player, Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, gnomebaker or K3B instead of disc burning software from Nero.
Installation is easy on a desktop computer, but a little harder on laptops. As I mentioned, some wireless NIC's do not run on Linux, especially those from Broadcom. That is why I bought an NIC from Intel, the 2915ABG, and that instantly worked. That is all for now.

Sin Cere,

Cisco IT Essentials student

6 comments:

PatMoto said...

I'll get Kubuntu installed after I move into my new house, THEN I can actually discuss Linux with you I guess.

Anonymous said...

"As I mentioned, some wireless NIC's do not run on Linux, especially those from Broadcom."

But what if you wanted to use you're Broadcom wireless NIC? Are there any available drivers for it that you can download? I know they have drivers on the Broadcom website, but I believe they are just for wired access.

Anonymous said...

It is possible to get Broadcom wireless NIC's to run on Linux. Go to Ubuntuforums.org and look under the wireless section of the forum. At the top are instructions to get a Broadcom wireless NIC working. I hope that this helps you. By the way, the driver is not the problem, it is the firmware.

Sin Cere,

Dirk Limon

Anonymous said...

I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting it downloaded. I got the ISO on the disc (I've been using ISO Recorder to put it on the disc). I open it up, and it gives me a menu with choices. I choose the first one "Start or install Ubuntu" and it shows the loading bar. But after that, it just gives me a black screen, and eventually a small white "X". Is it the CD that's corrupt or am I doing something wrong?

Site Administrator said...

On the boot screen use the option that says "Check CD integrity", or something like that. It would be easier if I could see for myself what your laptop is doing. What is the hardware in your laptop. Be very specific. I hope I can help you.

Sin Cere,

Dirk Limon

Anonymous said...

I did that, and it worked fine. I opened it in safe mode with graphics and it opened, but it would just stop working when i tried to install it through there. i think it's my cruddy hardware. i have a celeron processor and only 256 Ram. I downloaded the text version and am installing it as we speak. Let's cross our fingers and see where this takes us. Haha